openLTO is an open and neutral set of Bash scripts for handling LTO (Linear Tape-Open) cartridges of generation 5, 6, 7 and 8, formatted in LTFS, on the most current drives from HPE, IBM and Tandberg Data, on recent versions of Linux, including the Windows Subsystem for Linux, and macOS. It supports either openLTFS or numerous current LTFS implementations.
The openLTO package is released under a 3-Clause BSD License and is provided «as is» without warranty or support of any kind. The source code will become freely available, as soon as a public beta will be released. A PDF of the current man page is available.
Our clients can already install and test a private beta by running the following command:
brew install avpres/formulae/openlto
The Homebrew formula has been successfully tested on x86_64 architectures running on the following operating systems:
- Linux: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, 16.04.5 LTS and 14.04.5 LTS, and Slackware 14.2
- Macintosh: macOS 10.14.3, 10.13.6 and 10.12.6, and OS X 10.11.6
- Windows 10: running Debian 9.5 or Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Table of Contents
- Basic Scripts
- listlto – List the available LTO desks.
- selectlto – Select an LTO desk to use.
- loadlto – Load an LTO cartridge into a desk.
- formatlto – Format an LTO cartridge with LTFS.
- mountlto – Mount an LTO cartridge which is loaded in a desk.
- writelto – Write data from the computer onto a mounted LTO cartridge.
- readlto – Read data from a mounted LTO cartridge to the computer.
- unmountlto – Unmount the LTO cartridge from a desk.
- ejectlto – Eject an LTO cartridge from a desk.
The set of basic scripts above may also be used for building more complex scripts such as the ones in the following two sections:
- Intermediate Scripts
- indexlto – Establish the full index of an LTO cartridge.
- copylto – Copy the content of one LTO cartridge onto another LTO cartridge.
- verifylto – Verify the integrity of an LTO cartridge.
- searchlto – Search a string or a regex over the full content of an LTO cartridge.
- migratelto – Migrate one or more LTO cartridges from one generation to another.
- recoverlto – Recover content by using back-up from an LTO cartridge.
- Advanced Scripts
- repairlto – [Try to] repair a damaged LTO cartridge.
- Other Scripts
- dcp2lto – Write a DCP from the computer onto a mounted LTO cartridge.
- lto2dcp – Read a DCP from a mounted LTO cartridge to the computer.